Now that the cooler weather is approaching, it’s nice to build a collection of warming dishes that you can serve the family for dinner. This delicious recipe is quick and easy, and can even be made in a rice cooker!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh, diced
- 1.5 cups aborio rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 200g pumpkin, cubed (1-2cm)
- 1.5 cups baby spinach
- 100g ricotta
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and peper to taste
How to cook Chicken Risotto
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or rice cooker
- Simmer chicken for 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Cook onion and garlic on simmer for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Add mushrooms and rice and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock. Stir and cover with lid. If using a rice cooker place on "risotto" mode and cook until finished. If using a saucepan, keep on a low heat and cook until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, place pumpkin on a lined oven tray. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, add the chicken, pumpkin, parsley, spinach and ricotta. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Hi, I’m Aspen, a university qualified teacher and nutritionist. As one of seven kids, a mum and ten years teaching experience, I understand just how challenging mealtimes can be. That’s why I’m so passionate about giving families a range of strategies to reduce fussy eating and make mealtimes an enjoyable family experience. I also work with schools doing incursions, parent information sessions and canteen menu assessment.